Greece Live Updates
- Updates – total confirmed cases – 1544
deaths – 53
today’s new cases – 138
today’s new deaths – 2
- Since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, medical personnel, human rights groups and others have warned of catastrophe if COVID-19 spreads to the roughly 60,000 refugees living in often-squalid camps in Greece.
- Now the virus has arrived. This week, at least 20 refugees living in the Ritsona camp, near Athens, have tested positive for COVID-19. The camp is now on lockdown for the next two weeks. Imposes Quarantine On Camp.
- Turkey has accused Greece of human rights abuses, while Greece said Erdogan was using refugees for political blackmail against the EU.
- Greece had asked the EU border agency to increase its support in bolstering its border with Turkey in early March.
- The government is contemplating whether to shut toll booths on major roads over the Easter period to prevent anyone travelling to their ancestral villages during the celebrations.
- The government banned swimming, fishing and all water sports, as it tightens the restrictions to further help reduce infections.